14 November 2008

Character Thoughts...

Ok it took me bloody ages to get this picture, and once I'd found it.. it wasn't what I'd remembered it being. Never-the-less, here goes, I was thinking about my main character today and exactly how I want him to come across. The guys gonna be a tank, a huge and powerful upper body with smaller scaled legs. So he looks almost like one of those triangle guys you see coming out of the gym who work purely on their triceps and chest. His legs will still be muscular from chasing the animals that he hunts - but just not as much, really he's such a good hunter that there's not much of a chase involved. He'll stand tall, confident, with an arrogance about him.


I imagined him being almost golem/troll like (as illustrated above, from the Discworld animated series, "Soul Music") and being as he's from the stone age, I wanted him to have this almost 'stone like' quality about him, like he'd been carved from the rock itself. Perhaps a greyish tint to his skin? I don't know, we'll come to that later. But I do like the idea of him having a chiselled appearance, not only in his facial structure but an overall sharp edged outline. I'll have a play with some designs of my own..

3 comments:

RealitySwitch said...

This notion reminds me of the movie 300. The spartans bare chests were given a kind of brassy appearance and I've always assumed/thought it was to imply a sturdiness associated with armour.. I mean, sometimes they look like they were metal chestpieces, if subtle ones. Anyway, I really liked how that came across and how subtle it was. I think this rock thing may be very cool for similar reasons.. an idea springs to mind that maybe wrinkles on his skin could be stylised into cracks like in rocks?

Just thinking out loud. All your thoughts here make sense, tis cool.

Solent animation said...

considering your script, how does making his appearance that of a stone troll support the stroy and the relationship the audience may or may not have with him?

Rich Hallsworth said...

The father is large, he's slightly arrogant, overly self confident, and he doesn't believe he needs any help in life. He starts off practically mocking his own daughter. I think having a stone like appearance would emphasise this 'cold' persona. Perhaps it could be taken so far as to have him start with a blueish/grey appearance, which as the film draws to a conclusion vanishes to leave him looking more orange and warm. I'll explore this idea with some colour studies.